Register
Mitsubishi Electric: quality leader in China. (photo: Mitsubishi Electric Corporation)
Mitsubishi Electric: quality leader in China.
17.10.2014, 11:37

Mitsubishi Electric Elevator/Escalator Joint-Venture in China Surpasses Production of 500,000 Units

Company News

Japanese manufacturer forecasts "moderate" growth for world's largest elevator and escalator market, as urban development advances from coastal areas to inland cities.

Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (TOKYO: 6503) has announced that Shanghai Mitsubishi Elevator Co., Ltd. (SMEC), an elevator and escalator joint-venture company with Shanghai Electric Group Company Limited in Shanghai, China, surpassed cumulative production of 500,000 units earlier this month.

Mitsubishi Electric became the first Japanese company to deliver elevators to China in 1950. Teaming with Shanghai Electric Group in 1986, the company jointly founded SMEC in Shanghai to become the first Japanese company to directly manufacture, sell, install and provide maintenance for elevators and escalators in China. 

SMEC produced China's first VVVF-inverter-controlled elevators in 1990. Over the years, it has launched a variety of products equipped with advanced energy-saving features and technology for enhanced riding experiences, such as gearless traction machines using permanent-magnetic motors and variable-speed elevator systems. Through such achievements, Mitsubishi Electric has contributed to the growth and development of China's elevator and escalator industry.

China is the world's largest elevator and escalator market with, annual sales of more than 500,000 units, accounting for over 60 percent of the global market. The growth rate is expected to remain moderate as urban development advances from coastal areas to inland cities.

Going forward, Mitsubishi Electric will continue to expand its business in China through delivery of safe, reliable, high-quality and comfortable products incorporating advanced technologies.
 
SMEC Timeline

1986 Founded
1990 Produces and sells China's first VVVF-inverter-controlled elevators
1993 Total shipments reach 10,000 units
1996 Delivers China's first spiral escalators in Shanghai
1997 Constructs 120-meter test tower, world's tallest elevator test tower at the time
2000 Total shipments reach 50,000 units
2003 Produces and sells machine-room-less elevators
2004 Total shipments reach 100,000 units
2005 Commissioned to deliver double-deck elevators (420 m/min) to CCTV headquarters
2006 Extends joint-venture agreement for additional 20 years
2008 Commissioned to deliver double-deck elevators (480 m/min) to Tianjin Tower Total shipments reach 200,000 units
2009 Commissioned to deliver super-high-speed elevators (540 m/min) to Kingkey 100 in Shenzhen
2011 Commissioned to deliver super-high-speed elevators (1,080 m/min) to Shanghai Tower Total shipments reach 300,000 units
2013 Commissioned to deliver super-high-speed elevators (600 m/min) to Wuhan Center Total shipments reach 400,000 units
2014 Total shipments reach 500,000 units


About Shanghai Mitsubishi Elevator Co., Ltd.
Company name Shanghai Mitsubishi Elevator Co., Ltd.
Location 811 Jiang Chuan Road, Minhang, Shanghai
Site area 273,000 m2
Ownership The Mitsubishi Electric Group owns 40% in shares, while Shanghai Electric Group Company Limited and other companies hold the remaining 60%.
Start of operation January 1987
Employees Approximately 2,000 (As of January 1, 2014)

 

Article rating:

vote data

Leave a reply

Holding a mirror up to the industry: Jeff Dewing, Cloudfm CEO. (photo: Cloudfm Group)
News Editor  - 31.03.2021

Exposing Widespread FM Failures in the UK

A potentially explosive book by Cloudfm CEO, Jeff Dewing, contains allegations of widespread corporate failings in the UK's £120 billion market for facilities management services.

 (photo: Mindspace)
Efrat Fenigson  - 25.03.2021

Why Employees Need Better Options

Efrat Fenigson, Mindspace VP Marketing, explains why decisions about remote work require companies to look beyond possible financial savings.